International Student FAQs | true

Do I need a visa?

If you are a foreign national, in order to take up your offer at your preferred University, you will need a UK visa. For more information, please visit the

Where can I register a bank account?

Whilst living in the UK, you will find it a whole lot easier having a UK bank account. Many British banks offer students a range of deals for setting up an account, so do a little research before making a final decision. Here are some options to help you get started browsing:

What are the best ways to get around?

If you are a UK student, you are entitled to travel discount cards that apply to national train and bus networks across the country. Here are some travel options to help you get started:

  • Young Persons Railcard - If you are 25 and under, these cards are £30 for the year and saves you 1/3 off train travel
  • Young Persons Coach Card - If you are 26 and under, these cards are only £10 for the year plus p&p or £25 for 3 years plus p&p and allows you 30% off National Express bus journeys
  • Subway Smartcard - Special to Glasgow, these cards are a flexible, reusable and quick way to travel on the subway. You can register for a smartcard free of charge online.
  • Uber - If you wish to travel by taxi, Uber is a simple App to download and order taxis straight from your smartphone. 

How do I set up a UK mobile phone?

If you are an international student coming from abroad, we recommend buying a UK SIM card for your phone to help keep bill costs down. 

There are two options you can choose from if you are looking to set up your phone here in the UK. 

  • Pay-as-you-go - This is the easier option as most phone providers offer SIM cards that allow you to top your phone up as and when you need too
  • Contracts - If you haven’t lived in the UK, starting a contract may prove more difficult but there are a range of providers who offer different deals so shop around before making a decision. 

Here are some UK phone providers to help you get started, however talk to any of our staff who will be able to help:

  • EE
  • O2 - As an O2 customer you can receive priority tickets to gigs and events across the UK
  • Vodafone
  • Three

How do I register with a local doctors surgery?

It is important that whilst you are living in the UK that you register with a doctor. As a full-time student, you may qualify for free NHS treatment. Depending on which university you are with, they will be able to provide you with details of medical and dentistry practices in the area.

A guide to reserving your room...

Reserving a room at true student couldn't be easier! All you need to do is...

1. Click 'reserve a room' in the top right hand corner.

2. Select your perfect room and the tenancy length.

3. Quickly enter your details.

4. Pay the advanced rent payment, this will be conveniently deducted from your first rental instalment automatically.

5. Confirm your booking!

After this, we will email you directly asking you to easily set up your true student account, complete onboarding and sign your contract online. Easy peasy!

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Send us a message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.